Re: guixsd install questions

From: Divan Santana
Subject: Re: guixsd install questions
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2017 06:53:01 +0200

> Divan Santana <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> My guess is that you’d need to explicitly mark one of the mapped device
>>> as depending on the other; this cannot be guessed.
>>>
>>> If you run “guix system shepherd-graph” on your config you’ll probably
>>> see that there’s no such dependency.
>>>
>>> Currently dependencies among mapped devices cannot be expressed, but
>>> that’s easy to fix (by providing a ‘dependencies’ field as in
>>> ‘file-system’.)
>>
>> So I've tried altering the code and asked on IRC a while back too. I
>> tried some of the suggestions that were given but none of them worked.
>>
>> Would you be able to "spell out" for someone clueless what the code
>> should look like to express the dependencies.
>>
>> Currently the code looks like this
>>
>>   (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/vdb")))
>>   (mapped-devices (list
>>                    (mapped-device
>>                     (source (list "/dev/vdb1" "/dev/vdc1"))
>>                     (target "/dev/md0")
>>                     (type raid-device-mapping))
>>                    (mapped-device
>>                     (source (uuid "1c0f1601-97f4-4a3d-9528-cd76130ff919"))
>>                     (target "crypt")
>>                     (type luks-device-mapping))))
>>   (file-systems (cons (file-system
>>                        (device "/dev/mapper/crypt")
>>                        (title 'device)
>>                        (mount-point "/")
>>                        (type "ext4"))
>>                       %base-file-systems))
>
> You can have your file system depend on the two mapped devices like
> this:
>
>    (file-systems (cons (file-system
>                         (device "/dev/mapper/crypt")
>                         (title 'device)
>                         (mount-point "/")
>                         (type "ext4")
>                         (dependencies mapped-devices))
>                        %base-file-systems))
>
> What *cannot* be expressed yet is dependencies among mapped devices.
> For that we need to extend the <mapped-device> record with a
> ‘dependencies’ field like <file-system> does.

Ah, I thought there was a workaround to get the combination of
mdadm+luks working.

Currently with your above suggestion it fails to boot post install at
grub with:

  error: file `/gnu/store...-raw-initrd' not found.

> You’re welcome to start working on it if you feel like it (and I’d be
> happy to help!) and/or submit it to address@hidden

I wish. Maybe one day. My coding skills are MIA and time is very
limited. But I do hope to start contributing in some way in time
(besides my FSF financial support).

> I hope this is a bit clearer now!

Thanks. :-)