[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Pros and cons of Emacs package management through Guix instead of packag
Pros and cons of Emacs package management through Guix instead of package.el
Tue, 03 Apr 2018 10:47:28 +0530
mu4e 1.0; emacs 25.3.1
I am thinking of using Guix to manage all my Emacs packages. I can
think of several benefits:
- Guix provides (possibly) more stable versions.
- Guix can update all packages without hanging Emacs.
- Guix can update all packages from the commandline, i.e. it can be scripted.
- Guix can rollback Emacs packages. Emacs package updates and system
program updates can belong to the same transaction: this enforces the
integrity of the software stack at the user level.
- Guix allows for sharing package files among several users on a multi-user
And possible downsides:
- package.el provides more up-to-date packages through MELPA but if we
really want to be more cutting edge (i.e. for development), we are
usually better off cloning the repository anyway.
- Guix is basically duplicating the effort of (M)ELPA.
What's your take on this?
Description: PGP signature
- Pros and cons of Emacs package management through Guix instead of package.el,
Pierre Neidhardt <=