Re: guix system disk-image: preset user profiles (packages & arbitrary d

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: guix system disk-image: preset user profiles (packages & arbitrary data)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 15:00:16 +0200

> There are two things we could do:
>
>   • Add an option to make the root file system persistent (easy).
>
>   • Add an option to allow users to specify additional partitions in the
>     disk image (which would be writable).  If you look at ‘qemu-image’
>     in (gnu system vm), you’ll see there’s already a list of partitions
>     there, and this is what needs to be modified.
>
> My preference goes to the second option; it’s a bit more work, but it’s
> not too hard.

With option 2, you mean that we could add new writable partitions, but
_also_ make the root partition writable, right?

It seems to be the most straightforward approach to me.
How else would you attack option 1?

Alternatively, isn't all this exactly the same as installing directly
onto a USB drive, following the regular installation procedure?
Namely

     herd start cow-store /mnt
     guix system init /my/usb/config.scm /mnt

--
Pierre Neidhardt