|Subject:||Re: Can't log in: blank login screen after reconfigure|
|Date:||Sun, 21 Oct 2018 11:11:54 +0200 (CEST)|
I recently ran "guix pull" and then "guix system reconfigure" on a
GuixSD installation in a VirtualBox VM. Since doing that, I can't log
in. While booting, everything proceeds as usual, with normal output,
until the SLiM login screen is supposed to appear. But instead of the
SLiM login screen, I get a blank screen with a small white cursor in the
upper left, and I can't log in.
Has anyone seen anything like this in the past? Here are some
observations I've made about the situation:
* GuixSD shuts down normally if I issue the "shutdown signal" from
VirtualBox. This indicates the OS is actually still running.
* I waited over 8 hours, and the login screen did not appear.
* I tried blind-typing my user name and password, but the blank screen
* When I boot from the previous system generation, there is no problem.
* When I replace SLiM with SDDM in my OS configuration and reconfigure,
the same problem occurs.
* However, one time only, while trying to boot using SDDM instead of
SLiM, I got to the SDDM login screen. But when I typed in my username
and password and hit enter, I received the same blank screen as before
and ultimately could not log in. Every other time I've booted the VM,
I didn't even get to the SDDM login screen, so I don't know why I was
able to reach the login screen that one time.
* I tried pressing control+alt+F2 etc. to switch to different virtual
tty, but it didn't work. The blank screen remained.
* I examined various system logs, but I could not find anything that
jumped out at me as causing the problem. It's entirely possible I
missed something important, though; I just checked a few places.
There is more that I could try - for example, I could try starting an
ssh server in my VM and logging in that way. I could also try drilling
deeper into the X server logs, since that seems like the obvious next
step, since the problem occurs for both SDDM and SLiM. I could also try
reinstalling GuixSD in a new VM. But I haven't tried any of this yet
due to lack of time.
If anyone has any advice or has seen this before, please let me know.
|[Prev in Thread]||Current Thread||[Next in Thread]|