Re: Features of installing package that works as service

From: Tonton
Subject: Re: Features of installing package that works as service
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 18:04:43 +0100

Welcome to Guix!

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 10:38:22 +0100 (CET)
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello, Guix Help! I think GuixSD is cute, but manual is so incomprehensible
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html>

Parts of the manual may be a bit difficult, but I think we're trying to make
it good and understandable for everyone. If you have suggestions I encourage
you to send them in an email, or even better as a documentation patch.

> I want to clear all possible options when I install packages that work as
> services. For example, can get postgresql by typing by non-root user `$
> guix package -i postgresql` and run it? How to run it?
>
> Can I install postgresql and run it only when I need?

Yes and yes. You can add it as a service in your config.scm and then stop and
start it when needed. Or you can run it as a package like you describe here.

> Do I need install it only from defining service in config.scm and typing `#
> guix system reconfigure config.scm` ?
>
> Manual "6.2.15 Defining Services" has lot of variables and I do not know
> where to find them definitions.

Defining packages and services is next level (it's not very difficult, but
not something you should need for regular systems). Look at the sections
under "System Configuration" sepcifically the pages under Services.

HTH
Tonton