Re: Some general guix questions

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Some general guix questions
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2019 18:13:19 +0100

1. System-wide installation means packages are readily available to all users,
   which can be nice, but users then don't have the freedom to remove them.
   For maximal flexibility, it's often best to leave system-wide packages to the
   bare minimum and let users choose what they want.

   If you are preparing a distribution for an organization, requirements could
   be different.  Your mileage may vary.

2. I also combine emacs-guix and helm-system-packages a lot ;)
   My personal take at this issue is to generate the manifest from all installed
   packages with the following shell script:

        cat<<EOF>"$PKG_ROOT/guix"
(specifications->manifest
 '(
EOF

        guix package -I | awk '{printf("\"%s", $1); if($3!="out") {printf("%s",
":" $3)}; print "\""}' | LC_ALL=C sort >>"$PKG_ROOT/guix"
        echo "))" >>"$PKG_ROOT/guix"

  There might be better ways to do this.