Re: warning: failed to install locale

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: warning: failed to install locale
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 11:35:28 +0100

Hi Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> This is in your environment.  But what about the daemon’s environment?
> It is not started in your environment where GUIX_LOCPATH is set.  How do
> you start the daemon?  If it’s via systemd you may want to look at the
> service file to see where GUIX_LOCPATH points.

OK now I understand too, thanks!

yes, Debian starts daemons via systemd and this issue is easily fixed by
installing glibc-utf8-locales in the guix default root profile:

  sudo -i
  guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
  sudo systemctl restart guix-daemon.service

after doing so, when I "guix build emacs --dry-run" the warning I
reported disappeared

I think a similar approach should resolve similar issues with other init
systems

since I used the binary install script [1] I think we should easily
patch that so that it also "guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales" for lazy
users like me :-)

I'm going to test the binary install script on a brend new Debian 9 lxc
container since I found other possible improvements

this is also not clearly stated in
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Application-Setup.html#Locales-1
do it need to be fixed?

AFAIU adding "export GUIX_LOCPATH=$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale" to
root's .profile or .bash_profile is not strictly needed (unless you want
to install and run packages as root user), so I'd _not_ automate this
via the binary install script or document this

Thanks!
Giovanni

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/plain/etc/guix-install.sh

--