Re: HFS+ write support (packaging hfsprogs?)

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: HFS+ write support (packaging hfsprogs?)
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2019 00:32:47 -0700

Hi Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> I have this external drive formatted in HFS+ (Apple's filesystem).
> I'd like to write to it.
>
> It seems that I'd need the hfsprogs package (to be confirmed).
> It's under APSL license.
>
> [...]
>
> Thoughts?

The APSL v2 (but not v1, apparently) is a free software license:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#apsl2
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html

So, as long as hfsprogs is available under the APSL v2 and it does not
contain any thing that might go against the FSDG (e.g., "A free system
distribution must not steer users towards obtaining any nonfree
information for practical use, or encourage them to do so."), it's
probably OK to include in Guix.

For reference, the FSDG can be found here:

https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

--
Chris