Re: support for btrfs multiple devices?

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: support for btrfs multiple devices?
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 15:57:39 +0200

Hello Matt,

Matt Huszagh <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm unable to get even a basic guix system init working with btrfs on 2
> partitions. I setup the btrfs filesystem with:
>
> mkfs.btrfs -L btrfs -m raid1 -d raid0 /dev/nvme0n1p2 /dev/sda1

Please can you specify how did you then installed Guix on your system?

> and in my config:
>
> (define fs-root
>   (file-system
>    (mount-point "/")
>    (type "btrfs")
>    (device (file-system-label "btrfs"))

Can you please try using uuid instead of file-system-label?

>    (options "defaults,compress=lzo,ssd,noatime")
>    (needed-for-boot? #t)))
>
> (define fs-boot
>   (file-system
>    (mount-point "/boot/efi")
>    (type "vfat")
>    (device (uuid "68C5-A2D1" 'fat))))
                                ^^^^ fat32 ? :-)

>  (file-systems (append
>                 (list
>                  fs-root
>                  fs-boot)
>                 %base-file-systems))

[...]

> Has anyone gotten btrfs working with any sort of multi-device raid
> capability?

Yes, I did it on milano-guix-1 build machine (and I'm almost sure I'm
not the only one around):

That machine configuration is here:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/hydra/milano-guix-1.scm

I initially installed on a RAID1 (both data and metadata) btrfs volume
using two disk partitions, with manual installation method, and it
worked; lately I added 4 more disks (whole disks) and converted the
volume to RAID10

> Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!  I've now devoted 4 full
> days and still can't get past the guix system init phase - I'm pretty
> close to giving up...

Can you please provide a step-by-step report of what you are doing when
installing, maybe a review could reveal something wrong... or probably a
Guix bug :-)

Thanks for reporting!

Happy Guix! Gio'.

--