Re: bug#36498: modem["ttyUSB0"]: error starting PPP: Could not find "ppp

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: bug#36498: modem["ttyUSB0"]: error starting PPP: Could not find "pppd" binary
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 22:14:14 +0200

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 09:13:22PM +0200, Adam Mazurkiewicz wrote:
> Hi Florian, thank you for your replies. Well, during my attempt to
> prepare an environment to use the prefix ./pre-inst-env, I had to
> install a package guile. Because it is told in Contributing Guix
> article:

`guix environment guix` temporarily installs all software required to
build guix.  I believe this help thread reveals various shortcomings
of the Guix manual.  I had hoped referring to the manual would
suffice, but it obviously is not organized well enough.

> Building from Git: -> "When building Guix from a checkout, the
> following packages are required in addition to those mentioned in the
> installation instructions (see Requirements)." -> Requirements -> GNU
> Guile, version 2.2.x;

You do *not* need guile in your config, but in one of the profiles
that are active when building guix, i.e. you can just run

cd path/to/guix
… # appropriate `git pull --rebase`, `git am ….patch` invocations
guix environment guix
./bootstrap
./configure --localstatedir=/var
make
sudo -E ./pre-inst-env guix system reconfigure /etc/config

I am sorry for all the trouble.  I thought you were originally
applying the patches in a mostly correct way, just on a too old Guix
git revision.

Regards,
Florian