Re: guix package conflict

From: Carlo Zancanaro
Subject: Re: guix package conflict
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 07:01:05 +1000

Hey Mark,

On Mon, Aug 12 2019, Mark H Weaver wrote:
What leads you to believe this?

I think you're mistaken, based both on past experience and also from examining the current code.

After taking another look at the code, I agree with you.

The relevant procedure is 'transaction-upgrade-entry' in (guix scripts package), here:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/scripts/package.scm?id=c383c36edeb7eb358f142c52276d6e5d32bda044#n225

This is the code I was looking at, but I think I was just too hasty when I looked at it. In the past I've seen conflicts similar to what Andy saw, and was always able to resolve them easily by using "guix package -i" rather than "guix package -u", from which I formed my hypothesis about how --upgrade deals with versions.

This is certainly the behavior I remember from using --upgrade myself during the early years of Guix, although in recent years I've been using the declarative approach to maintain my profile, using "guix package --manifest".

I have also switched to using --manifest, so my memories of --upgrade aren't very strong.

Carlo