Re: Scripting guix in guile

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Scripting guix in guile
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2019 10:15:07 +0200

Hi Jesse,

First of all, thanks for your suggestions!

>>  1. What to put into the #! line to locate Guile.
> I don't think you need a shebang to script guile. If you do, you could
> always make a guix package for the scripts, and that will fix
> everything in the patch-shebangs phase.

Right, packaging solves the problem because Guix takes care of patching
my script. But that comes at a significant cost in terms of deployment
complexity. It's certainly the right way to distribute black-box tools,
but my scripts are mainly illustrations for working with Guix. I want to
use them in a tutorial, saying "there is no built-in Guix functionality
for this, but you can write your own scripts interfacing with
Guix. Here's an example, download it, play with it, modify it to fit
your needs."

> I think the default GUILE_LOAD_PATH includes guix. Here's the contents

Not on my system. I am using Guix on top of Ubuntu, maybe for Guix
System it works out of the box. I'll try with a virtual machine.

> --You can wrap the executables with the environment variables you need
> so the executable scripts are callable from the default PATH. See what
> guix does with guile, mcron, and shepherd, which are mostly guile
> scripts with a little bit of native code.

Looking at those examples is certainly a good plan - I'll do and report
back!

Konrad.