Re: Emacs in multiple profiles

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Emacs in multiple profiles
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 21:54:31 +0200

Hi!

I'm resurrecting this since I got bitten by this today.

I'm currently writing a blog article on profiles and manifest, and I
realized that Emacs is the only program so far that does not behave
consistently with the rest of Guix.

When I source the etc/profile where I've installed my Emacs packages,
I'd expect the appropriate environment variables to be set so that
`guix-emacs-autoload-packages' knows where to load the packages from.

I believe the solution to be simple:

1. Make Emacs packages set XDG_DATA_DIRS in etc/profile
2. guix-emacs.el: Remove guix-user-profile
3. guix-emacs.el: Set profiles to all the paths in XDG_DATA_DIRS in the
guix-emacs-autoload-packages function.

Thoughts?

--
Pierre Neidhardt