Re: Problem logging in using GDM

From: Tanguy Le Carrour
Subject: Re: Problem logging in using GDM
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 09:03:48 +0200

Hi Ricardo!

Le 10/19, Ricardo Wurmus a écrit :
> The question here is: is it a failure of GDM or gnome-shell?  The exact
> point where GDM starts gnome-shell is hard to pin-point, of course, but
> the logs (even those on TTY1, Ctrl-Alt-F1) might tell you something
> about whether it is gnome-shell that is crashing or if it doesn’t even
> get that far.

I don't use gnome-shell, but bspwm, so I guess it is a pure gdm problem.
The fact that it works with slim seems to confirm this.

"Funny" thing, I have 2 different problems!

At home, GDM does not even start. I just see the mouse pointer on the
TTY. Nothing really informative in the logs. Just an endless succession
of "New session c1 of user gdm […] closing session […] New session c2 of
user gdm […]".

At work, I can see the GDM screen, but when I provide my
username/password nothing happens.

I'll try to update my laptop at the WE. Hope I won't end up with yet
another variation of the problem! ^_^'

If I have some meaningful logs, I'll post them here.

--
Tanguy