Re: Guix does not find packages

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Guix does not find packages
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 16:41:00 +0100

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 at 16:02, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> wrote:

> No.  It was a deliberate decision to make ‘guix search’/‘guix
> package -s’ show only the ‘top’ result when stdout is a TTY.  I
> don't like it either.  The argument was that packages are sorted
> with the most relevant one at the top, which would scroll out of
> view.

Even the 'relevance' scoring function should be discussed. ;-)

> I *still* think we should either do nothing, or call $PAGER
> automatically when stdout is a TTY.

I think there is a patch which changes the behaviour to "do nothing"
when INSIDE_EMACS is set.
But from my point of view, the philosophy is to combine "guix search"
with "recsel" to filter the results and then to use "guix show" to
read the information of the package.

(Note that "guix show" shows only one package and it should be able to
accept a list. TODO list ;-))

All the best,
simon