a first question about parallel environments

From: Ben
Subject: a first question about parallel environments
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 08:34:59 +0100

Hi all
I've watched all the introduction videos (which are really helpful) and red
some documentation, but I think I still miss something fundamental.

I run a vagrant vm with a simple node server app behind apache.  The setup is
small, but still has a some configuration and packaging (npm) involved. So I'd
like to try to introduce guix into this setup. In addition to that I have a
second vagrant vm running with the same basic setup, but some minor
differences.

Would it be possible to put these two setups from two different vagrant
machines into one machine? I don't need strong isolation, but I need the
possibility of having different versions of software installed on a single
vagrant vm.

If it is possible I would like to keep using vagrant. I know about docker, but
in this case the preferred way would be: a vagrant vm with guix installed with
a couple of parallel environments (if thats the correct term).

When reading about guix I always imagine the case when you're sitting infront
of your linux notebook, something (package, dependency) breaks and now thanks
to guix you're able to roll back very easily. So this would be a single user
environment. But can guix also be helpful in a case where you have multiple
different environments (I hope the term is correct) running in parallel? What
is the best way to achieve that? Creating multiple users? Using containers?

Thanks
Ben