Re: Locales in a Guix container (somewhat related to r-readr)?

From: Wiktor Żelazny
Subject: Re: Locales in a Guix container (somewhat related to r-readr)?
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 15:27:17 +0100

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 12:35:18PM +0100, zimoun wrote:

> > I don’t know if it’s some recent change in the Guix behavior, but I
> > noticed that I’m getting no utf-8 locales in a container. I
> > discovered it while reading a utf-8 csv file using
> > readr::read_csv().
>
> Could you provide a minimalist example?

Not with readr::read_csv() because of the tzdata thing, but even
simpler:

   cat > test.csv << "EOF"
   abc
   ábč
   àbç
   äbc
   åbc
   EOF
   guix environment --ad-hoc r -- Rscript -e 'read.csv("test.csv")'
   guix environment -C --pure --ad-hoc r -- Rscript -e 'read.csv("test.csv")'

The first one gives me, as expected:

   abc
   1 ábč
   2 àbç
   3 äbc
   4 åbc

The other one:

                  abc
   1 \303\241b\304\215
   2 \303\240b\303\247
   3        \303\244bc
   4        \303\245bc
   sh: rm: command not found

(BTW, no idea where this “rm” comes from)

> I am not convinced by the hack of bug#39665 [1].
>
> [1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39665#8

Sure, I’m not suggesting it as a satisfactory solution. But I think it sheds
some light on where the problem may lie.

WŻ