Re: How should I be running `npm install …`?

From: Jelle Licht
Subject: Re: How should I be running `npm install …`?
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 17:18:42 +0200

Hey Josh,

Josh Marshall <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> The is my work email, I’m usually on IRC as “anadon”.  My laptop broke, so
> please humor the account change.
>
> Following the guide at
> https://medium.com/jeremy-keeshin/hello-world-for-javascript-with-npm-modules-in-the-browser-6020f82d1072
>  , I’m trying to run `npm install -g browserify` with the output below.  This
> is something others have certainly run into, but a quick google search does
> not turn up any useful results.  How should I be doing this?

By default, guix' npm wants to install to some location in the store,
which is mounted read-only. If you want to use npm to manage package
installations on guix, one workaround is to add something like the
following to your `$HOME/.npmrc':

prefix=/home/anadon/opt

You also need to make sure that `$HOME/opt/bin' is in your path
afterwards.

HTH,
 - Jelle