Re: How to configure a printer on Guix System

From: Christophe Pisteur
Subject: Re: How to configure a printer on Guix System
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 15:17:15 +0200

Le vendredi 15 mai 2020 à 17:33 +0200, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice a écrit :
> Christophe,
>
> Christophe Pisteur 写道:
> > Since now, I installed the following packages: cups,
> > cups-filters,
> > fomatics-filters.
> > When I launch http: // localhost: 631 / in my browser
>
> So the important thing to (un)learn here is that installing Guix
> packages will never start random software in the background.  This
> is by design.
>
> (Guix) System software is started by services that are part of
> your OPERATING-SYSTEM.  Here's part of my laptop's CUPS
> configuration:
>
>   (use-service-modules ···
>                        cups
>                        ···)
>   (operating-system
>     (services
>      (cons* ···
>        (service cups-service-type
>         (cups-configuration
>          (extensions
>           (list hplip-minimal
>                 ;; Required to display printer options,
>                 ;; even with IPP Everywhere everywhere.
>                 cups-filters
>                 ;; Other possible legacy drivers:
>                 ;; escpr foo2zjs foomatic-filters
>                 ;; hplip-minimal splix
>                 ))
>          (server-name host-name)
>          (host-name-lookups #t)
>          (web-interface? #t)
>          (default-paper-size "A4")
>          ;; You get the idea.
>          ···))
>        ···
>        %base-services-or-whatever)))

Thank you for the explanation and for sharing this configuration. My
problem is that I still don't understand guix well enough: I don't know
in which file to write this configuration of cups (name and path), nor
with what tool to define it (nano, terminal, etc.).

Perhaps I do not have enough computer background to use guix to date.
It does not matter, I will eventually learn over time, not to mention
that some functions will be automated with the evolution of the
project, as is the case for the graphic installation.

Christophe