Re: profile symlink structure

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: profile symlink structure
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 10:03:39 +0200

vapnik spaknik <address@hidden> writes:

> Could this be due to running "sudo guix pull" or "sudo -i guix pull"?

Did you run `sudo guix pull`?  If so, you should probably not! :)

> Also, what determines which profile symlinks are placed in
> /var/guix/gcroots/auto? I read elsewhere that these symlinks will be
> automatically removed as soon as any of them are broken.
See my other email.   `guix package --profile=...` is one of the
commands that creates auto GC roots.

> In my case that directory only contains symlinks to
> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/*/current-guix* symlinks, one of which is missing
> (/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix-1-link), and there is another
> link to ~/.config/guix/current-1-link which itself links directly to a
> profile in /gnu/store
>
> I suspect that the previously mentioned anomalies are the reason why "guix
> pull" fails for me with the following error when run as <USR>:
>
>> guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
>> "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/<USR>/current-guix-1-link"
>
> and which may have been caused by interrupting a "guix pull".

The symlinking operations should be atomic, thus this can not happen.
I suspect that your error is due to calling `sudo guix pull`.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/