Re: Geiser and Guix - how to avoid long compilation steps?

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Geiser and Guix - how to avoid long compilation steps?
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 09:45:43 +0200

Jonathan Frederickson <address@hidden> writes:

> This despite the fact that I'm working on a copy of Guix that I've
> already compiled with 'make' and that has the compiled copy alongside
> the source.

This has been a source of headaches for me too.  I like to run Geiser
to hack my Guix checkout.  But if I forget to compile a (big) scheme
file, geiser will grind to a halt when switching to a module that
depends on the uncompiled file.

Something weird: If I repeat the module switch, Geiser still takes ages
to do it, as if it didn't persist the .go files (normally in
~/.cache/guile/ccache?)

In my understanding, the solution here is to run `guix environment
guix -- make` all the time.

Maybe I'll add an override for geiser-mode-switch-to-repl-and-enter that
compiles Guix automatically.

Any other tip?

--
Pierre Neidhardt