Re: Erlang + Emacs profile

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Erlang + Emacs profile
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 10:50:03 +0200

Dear,

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 at 21:25, Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de>
wrote:

> * It requires keeping multiple Emacs on my system. How will they
> interact with the same ~/.emacs.d/.init.el?

Emacs reads init.el when it starts so yes all Emacs will interact with
this file if you do not specify explicitly to not do it.  Well, if you
use 'with-eval-after-load' in your Emacs configuration files, it should
not be a problem. Otherwise give a look at "emacs-guix" or try "emacs -q
-l /path/to/your/specific/config.el", as Maxim pointed.

> How did you package emacs-ob-erlang? (I did not yet package a single
> package for Guix, so I assume no prior knowledge.) Or is it a rather
> lengthy procedure to do so? I think this might be one of the next things
> I learn about Guix, which is very useful, because if a package is
> missing, one can add it oneself, without having to rely on others to add it.

For this specific package, I do not know because I have not checked but
the first step when a package is not in Guix is: try the importer! :-)

  guix import elpa -a melpa -r foo

where foo is the name of package in MELPA.  This works very well.

> I usually install Emacs packages inside Emacs, instead of using Guix for
> it. I do this, because probably not all packages I want are available in
> Guix, but I have not checked this assumption at all.

I did that (installing with 'use-package') too but then I switched all
to manifest.scm file and 'with-eval-after-load' tracking channels.scm
(guix describe -f channels).  This way, I have a working setup
everywhere and everytime.  Anyway! :-)

The point is that Guix has a really large collection of Emacs packages:

$ du -sh gnu/packages/*.scm | sort -nr | head -n5
908K    gnu/packages/crates-io.scm
884K    gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm
784K    gnu/packages/cran.scm
732K    gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm
636K    gnu/packages/bioinformatics.scm

and if your needs is not there then "guix import elpa" eases the task
for adding it. :-)

All the best,
simon