Re: How to run Guix with Hurd

From: Jan Wielkiewicz
Subject: Re: How to run Guix with Hurd
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 01:05:28 +0200

Hello,

Dnia 2020-07-11, o godz. 14:14:16
fr33d0m <fr33d0m@agnuwayofthinking.com> napisaƂ(a):

> I'm running a standalone GUIX system and have been updating it with
> GUIX pull and upgrading packages.
>
> I'd like to try running the Hurd instead of Libre-Linux but I don't
> know how to do this.

I guess you read the first April joke post about Linux-libre being
replaced with the Hurd. The Hurd isn't ready to replace Linux-libre
yet, but you can learn and contribute or tell the others to make it
true.

Here, the Hurd's website. It is outdated a bit:
https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/
And the more updated one (it is down in the time of writing this post):
darnassus.sceen.net/cgit/hurd-web.git/log/index.mdwn
The most up to date discussions:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/

Hurd lacks SMP (Simultaneous MultiProcessing), is 32-bit only and it
doesn't support modern hardware yet.

You can try Guix GNU/Hurd on a virtual machine (qemu).
If you're interested in it, I can give you instructions to set up a VM
with the Hurd.

Jan Wielkiewicz