Re: How to repair/reinstall guix on foreign distro

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: How to repair/reinstall guix on foreign distro
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 22:23:03 -0400

Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de> writes:

> Hi! It seems every few weeks i’m thrown into a initramfs prompt, as
> root got mounted read-only. The way out is always running fsck, which
> reports errors and offers fixes that I either can’t map to anything, or
> that refer to paths that belong to guix. Usually only below /gnu/store,
> but this time also var/guix.

Is ubuntu causing this issue?  Why are you seeing an initramfs prompt
every few weeks?  If you are running guix on ubuntu...that seems like
it's ubuntu's fault.  Though I'm probably way wrong.

> Now `guix pull` fails with:
> ```
> ;;; WARNING: loading compiled
> file
> /gnu/store/8bsnz1fk330qbn1p8k18i0j11vld4jxd-guix-module-union/lib/guile/3.0/site-ccache/guix/build-system/gnu.go
> failed: ;;; In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
> Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at
> 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'... guix pull: error: Git
> error: invalid data in index - incorrect header signature
> ```

Man...I've no idea.  I'm honestly responding just so you get a
response.  Why do you suppose you are getting into an initramfs...As in
you always have to run fsck?  What hardware are you using?

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus