Re: Guix on the MNT Reform

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: Guix on the MNT Reform
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 06:36:52 +0200

On Sat, 04 Sep 2021 21:31:08 -0400
Christine Lemmer-Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:

> So we probably want to make a u-boot-mnt-reform in
> gnu/packages/bootloaders.scm
The issue is that the I.MX8 requires a nonfree firmware for the DDR4
controller.

If you grep for firmware-imx in the u-boot source code you will find
mentions of it in the READMEs documentation for many I.MX8 boards.

So that firmware probably need to be reimplemented as free software
somehow.

Alternatively there are some new system on module (SOM) boards that are
also compatible with the MNT Reform[1] that might at least boot with
free software.

I've also started documenting the MNT reform on a Liberplanet wiki
page[2] but it's really a draft at this point.