Re: help: screen tearing in guix

From: André A . Gomes
Subject: Re: help: screen tearing in guix
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 21:47:20 +0300

Ekaitz Zarraga <ekaitz@elenq.tech> writes:

> I think this is what you are looking for:
> https://gitlab.com/ekaitz-zarraga/guix-configuration/-/blob/master/desktop.scm#L115
> HTH!!

Hi Ekaitz,

I've noticed that on my laptop's built-in screen there's some kind of
weird "delay" going on.  For instance, the cursor lags behind after
hitting Space.  On my external monitor, there are no issues at all.  If
that matters, the built-in screen native resolution is almost 4K.  I've
tried to play with the ModeLine settings in the past, but I wasn't able
to solve it.

I'm wondering if this "TearFree" option sounds like it could solve my
issue.  Regardless, I'll give it a try.

I also took a look at your config, and I noticed the last section
relative to ModemManager.

I've been playing with DIY keyboards (as you know) and I'm just curious
why exactly ModemManager interferes with USB devices.

For now I've solved the issue by adding the following udev rule:

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1b4f", ATTRS{idProduct}=="9205",
TAG+="uaccess", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"

My understand is that MM from "ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE" stands for
ModemManager.  I'd like to get a deeper understanding of what's going
on.  If you can share some pointers, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

--
André A. Gomes
"Free Thought, Free World"