Re: Nix programs on path but not found

From: Gary Johnson
Subject: Re: Nix programs on path but not found
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 13:15:49 -0500

Stefan Baums <baums@stefanbaums.com> writes:

> I am running Guix with EXWM. Prior to Guix, in Ubuntu, I used
> ~/.xinitrc to set some environment variables and run some startup
> programs. Since this is apparently not read in Guix+EXWM, I put
> the following at the top of my ~/.exwm instead:
>
> ...snip...
>
> From ansi-term and from async-shell-command, I am now also able to
> run programs installed in my Nix profile (e.g., onboard), but NOT
> from eshell (even though PATH is there shown as above), and NOT
> from the .xinitrc invoked from my .exwm startup script.
>
> Does anybody what is going on here, and how to fix it?

I'm not sure what is happening in your particular case, but I am also
using Guix with EXWM (and have been doing so for several years now).

What I do for setting up my environment is this:

1. Declare environment variables in ~/.bash_profile (source ~/.bashrc
   from here as well).

2. Declare aliases in ~/.bashrc.

3. Set up my X environment (with xsetroot, xset, setxkbmap, xrdb, etc.)
   in ~/.xsession. End the ~/.xsession file with "exwm" on the final
   line.

4. Put my Emacs configuration in ~/.emacs.d/init.el.

5. Put my EXWM configuration in ~/.exwm.

6. Put my eshell aliases in ~/.emacs.d/eshell/alias.

When I log in via Guix's graphical login prompt, each of the files I
listed above are executed in the order that I named them. All
environment variable settings from my ~/.bash_profile are inherited by
all shells (including eshell) in Emacs.

Have fun and happy hacking!
  Gary

--
GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED
Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.