Re: grub-install failing while system reconfigure

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: grub-install failing while system reconfigure
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 12:02:59 -0800

Hi,

Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:

> Fortunately, I had
> another GRUB installed with a Guix entry, so I can still get into Guix
> (an older system generation, though).

Even with an older Grub you should be able to load your latest Guix menu
with 'configfile'. [1] It should give you access to your most recent
system generation.

>> or enter bios and factory-reset it.

Instead of a factory reset, I would recommend the tool 'efibootmgr' from
a rescue disk after loading the necessary kernel module. The name of
that module changed recently, I believe, from 'efivars' to
'efivarfs'. (Please note the extra letter 'F'.)

It is possible that our version of Grub is not yet compatible with the
new kernel module or that the efivarfs file system was not mounted as
described here, when Grub ran. [2]

Kind regards
Felix Lechner

[1]