Re: open config.scm with sudo and gedit or emacs

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: open config.scm with sudo and gedit or emacs
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 18:13:54 +0000

Hello people,

El 12/03/23 a las 11:00, Sergiu Ivanov escribió:
Hi SeerLite,

SeerLite <seerlite@disroot.org> [2023-03-12T00:42:42+0100]:
On March 11, 2023 2:05:01 PM GMT-03:00, Sergiu Ivanov <sivanov@colimite.fr>
wrote:
Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> [2023-03-11T11:33:33+0100]:
because of my limited knowledge
when opening my config.scm file with sudo
I can do it only with nano
The strategy I personally prefer is to edit a file in my home directory
and then sudo cp to /etc/config.scm.

More concretely, I store my system configuration in
~/.config/guix/system-config.scm. I edit it with Emacs, as I would edit
any other normal file. When I am done editing, I do what essentially is

sudo cp ~/.config/guix/system-config.scm /etc/config.scm
Why not use the configuration from ~/.config directly? Why copy at all? I do

     sudo guix system reconfigure ~/.config/guix/system-config.scm
You are right, it's probably even better.

I prefer keeping my system config in /etc/config.scm because this is
what everyone seems to do, but that's probably a bad reason, supported
by unreliable data :D
I don't think there is any need to edit /etc/config.scm at all (maybe something in the manual needs clarification?). Once you have installed the Guix System, you can

1. Open /etc/config.scm with any text editor you want
2. Copy its contents and save them to a file in any location in your
   home folder. For example: ~/Documents/my-guix-things/production-os.scm.

From that moment on, you can edit production-os.scm as your regular user in any way you like and only use "sudo" to apply the configuration to your system:

   guix pull  # Recommended.
   sudo guix system reconfigure
   ~/Documents/my-guix-things/production-os.scm

You can even create copies of "production-os.scm" and shape different systems you'd like to try out separately (e.g. gnome-os.scm, sway-os.scm, some-server.scm, etc.).

In fact, the Guix manual says: "The normal way to change the system configuration is by updating this file [a file like the production-os.scm] and re-running ‘[sudo] guix system reconfigure’.  One should never have to touch files in ‘/etc’" (see System Configuration).

Hope that helps,

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/