Re: Custom kernel config is not taken by guix

From: Guillaume Le Vaillant
Subject: Re: Custom kernel config is not taken by guix
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 11:35:56 +0000

eisbaer@tilde.team skribis:

> Hello,
> I'm having problems compiling the linux-libre kernel with a custom config.
> I'm aiming at enabeling the debug info.
> The problem I am troubled with is that the configuration I am telling guix to
> use in my /etc/config.scm (guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm) is not
> taken by guix for compiling the kernel. Instead some other configuration file
> is used wich hasn't the options set I want it to have. The config file I want
> to use is in the same folder as the /etc/config.scm and is named
> debug_config2. I am checking /proc/config.gz if the options I changed in
> debug_config2 are changed and they are not.
>
> greetings :)
>
> ================================
> /etc/config.scm
> ================================
> ;; Diese Betriebssystemkonfiguration wurde vom
>

> ;; grafischen Installationsprogramm erzeugt.
>

> ;;
>

> ;; Sobald die Installation abgeschlossen ist, kann man die
>

> ;; Systemkonfiguration einsehen, verstehen und modifizieren. Übergeben
>

> ;; Sie die modifizierte Systemkonfiguration an den Befehl
>

> ;; 'guix system reconfigure', damit die Veränderungen wirksam werden.
>

> ;; Gibt an, welche Module importiert werden müssen, um auf die
>

> ;; benutzten Variablen dieser Konfiguration zugreifen zu können.
>

> (use-modules (gnu)
>              (gnu packages linux))
> (use-service-modules cups desktop networking ssh xorg)
>

> ;(define %custom-linux-config
>

> ;  (append `(("CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO" . #t))
>

> ;         (@@ (gnu packages linux) %default-extra-linux-options)))
>

> ;(define linux-libre-debug
>

> ;  ((@@ (gnu packages linux) make-linux-libre*)
>

> ;   (@@ (gnu packages linux) linux-libre-version)
>

> ;   (@@ (gnu packages linux) linux-libre-gnu-revision)
>

> ;   (@@ (gnu packages linux) linux-libre-source)
>

> ;   '("x86_64-linux")
>

> ;   #:extra-version "debug"
>

> ;   #:extra-options %custom-linux-config))
>

> (use-modules (guix packages)
>              (gnu)
>              (gnu packages linux)
>              (srfi srfi-1))
>
> (define-public linux-libreDEBUG
>   (package
>    (inherit linux-libre)
>    (name "linux-libreDEBUG")
>    (native-inputs
>     `(("kconfig" ,(local-file "debug_config2"))
>       ,@(alist-delete "kconfig"
>                       (package-native-inputs linux-libre))))
>

>     ))
>

> (operating-system
>   (locale "de_DE.utf8")
>   (timezone "Europe/Berlin")
>   (keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "de"))
>   (host-name "guix-test")
>
>   (kernel linux-libreDEBUG)
>   ;(kernel linux-libre)
>

>   [...]

Hi.

There's a 'customize-linux' function (in the (gnu packages linux)
module) to make Linux kernels with custom configurations. I have not
tested, but maybe something like the following could do what you want:

(define linux-libre-debug
  (customize-linux #:linux linux-libre
                   #:configs '("CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y")))

(operating-system