Most used and least used build-system in Guix packages

From: Rodrigo Morales
Subject: Most used and least used build-system in Guix packages
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 23:04:44 +0000

Table of Contents
_________________

1. TL; DR
2. My findings
3. The question

1 TL; DR
========

  Today, I was wondering what the most used build system and the least
  one are. The most used build system is `gnu-build-system'. The least
  used build system is `dub-build-system'. Here's how I found that out.

2 My findings
=============

  ,----
  | (car %load-path)
  `----

  ,----

/gnu/store/zc7dzsd10dd3pw60hircphz4vh1wlki0-guix-module-union/share/guile/site/3.0
  `----

  ,----

dir="/gnu/store/zc7dzsd10dd3pw60hircphz4vh1wlki0-guix-module-union/share/guile/site/3.0"
  `----

  ,----
  | 3893 gnu-build-system
  | 2717 python-build-system
  | 2359 r-build-system
  | 2188 cargo-build-system
  | 1328 emacs-build-system
  | 1176 cmake-build-system
  |  841 perl-build-system
  |  783 asdf-build-system
  |  776 haskell-build-system
  |  568 ruby-build-system
  |  536 go-build-system
  |  488 meson-build-system
  |  361 ant-build-system
  |  313 qt-build-system
  |  299 julia-build-system
  |  198 glib-or-gtk-build-system
  |  198 dune-build-system
  |  192 trivial-build-system
  |  158 pyproject-build-system
  |  154 copy-build-system
  |   81 font-build-system
  |   78 guile-build-system
  |   75 texlive-build-system
  |   52 ocaml-build-system
  |   49 node-build-system
  |   29 elm-build-system
  |   21 rebar-build-system
  |   21 rakudo-build-system
  |   21 minetest-mod-build-system
  |   20 waf-build-system
  |   19 linux-module-build-system
  |   15 minify-build-system
  |   14 clojure-build-system
  |   13 scons-build-system
  |   12 android-ndk-build-system
  |    9 patch-build-system
  |    9 chicken-build-system
  |    3 fix-build-system
  |    3 channel-build-system
  |    2 maven-build-system
  |    1 tree-sitter-build-system
  |    1 renpy-build-system
  |    1 package-build-system
  |    1 dub-build-system
  `----

3 The question

  Does anyone know if there's a more accurate way of finding out this
  information? I'm asking because my method also counts build systems
  that are mentioned in comments. For example, if a file contains
  comments that mention build systems, they are also counted.

  ,----