Re: python package dependencies conflict, pydot, ipython and pyparsings

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: python package dependencies conflict, pydot, ipython and pyparsings
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 19:16:21 +0200

Hi Oliver,

Sorry for the late reply.

On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 at 15:28, OLIVER HENRIOT
<oliver.henriot@univ-grenoble-alpes.fr> wrote:

> guix package: error: profile contains conflicting entries for
> python-pyparsing
> guix package: error: first entry: python-pyparsing@2.4.7
> /gnu/store/m7gzn7yw5g6f3ba3mrkc55pifl757hrb-python-pyparsing-2.4.7
> guix package: error: ... propagated from python-pydot@1.4.2
> guix package: error: second entry: python-pyparsing@3.0.6
> /gnu/store/wlmf5spfdmsjiw6cx30h0rpydfpz3gil-python-pyparsing-3.0.6
> guix package: error: ... propagated from python-packaging@21.3
> guix package: error: ... propagated from python-sphinx@5.1.1
> guix package: error: ... propagated from python-numpydoc@1.5.0
> guix package: error: ... propagated from python-ipython@8.5.0
>
> I thought naively that both versions could coexist (they are both
> present in the store) but there is visibly some magic missing to make
> this work within my manifest.

Well, that is a “well-known“ issue coming from propagated-inputs.  And
sadly, there is few workarounds to my knowledge.

>                                       Is there a reason I have missed
> to specify this precise version of pyparsings as a dependency for
> pydot in the official repo?

Well, python-pyparsing@2.4.7 is the last version supporting Python 2,
but this should not be blocking and maybe removed.  However, the package
python-gixy contains the comment:

             ;; XXX: gixy is incompatible with pyparsing >= 3.x.
             ;; See <https://github.com/yandex/gixy/pull/132> and
             ;; <https://github.com/yandex/gixy/pull/122>.

and the package python-pydot contains the comment [1]:

     ;; XXX: Two test failures with 3.0+:
     ;; https://github.com/pydot/pydot/issues/277

Somehow the issue is upstream. ;-)

1:
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/graphviz.scm?id=d1c811268d130041b5af1ba8f8b41cdafe8f08b5#n348>

>                             If so, can I nonetheless have both ipython
> and pydot at the same time in my manifest using some magic trick?

Well, waiting a better solution, you can try --allow-collisions but (1)
there is no guarantee and (2) it can lead to “strange” behaviour.

Hope that helps,
simon