Eradicating PulseAudio

From: Robby Zambito
Subject: Eradicating PulseAudio
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 12:28:06 -0400

Hi,

Please help me eradicate PulseAudio from my system. It causes me nothing
but pain. My most commonly run commands according to my bash history are
pulsemixer followed by pgrep pulseaudio, which I use to debug my audio
issues, and pkill pulseaudio followed by herd restart pipewire which I
use to resolve my audio issues caused by pulseaudio being started by
Shepherd.

I don't need or want PulseAudio. The only reference I have to PulseAudio
in my system or home config is the following:

(service alsa-service-type
         (alsa-configuration (pulseaudio? #f)))

In my system service configuration, with hopes to disable it
(unsuccessfully). I use %base-services rather than %desktop-services to
avoid the pulseaudio service that the latter includes.

How can I transform every package on my system to remove PulseAudio from
being an input? How can I stop Shepherd from starting PulseAudio against
my will, when there is no pulseaudio service in my home or system
configuration?

FWIW every package on my system is either installed through my system
config.scm or my home config.scm, so I can apply Scheme transformations
to every package easily.

I also see that there is an issue open to add a PipeWire Home
service[1]. I have a very similar service for my own setup that I wrote
myself. I skimmed through it, but I cannot see anything that actually
stops PulseAudio from loading. Does anyone know if this patch will just
resolve my issue?

Many thanks,
Robby

Footnotes: