Re: Unable to make guix master branch for over a week

From: Peter Polidoro
Subject: Re: Unable to make guix master branch for over a week
Date: Thu, 02 May 2024 13:02:06 -0400

Tomas Volf <~@wolfsden.cz> writes:

> Could you perhaps share the error you got?

  DOT      doc/images/service-graph.png
Error: Could not set character size
make[2]: *** [Makefile:7330: doc/images/service-graph.png] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/polidorop/guix'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:6302: all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/polidorop/guix'
make: *** [Makefile:4369: all] Error 2

> Often yes, however sometimes there are issues due to your Guix being too old
> (since the `shell -D guix' uses package versions from *your* Guix version, not
> from the repository).  However this issue is also somewhat rare.

I always upgrade my guix version right before attempting to make the guix
repository.

Perhaps it would be better for me to use a channels file and guix time-machine
when making the guix repository? If so, what would be the best commit to use
when making the head of the master branch, the previous commit on the master
branch? Would it make sense for the guix repository to include a channel file
for properly making itself using time-machine for shell -D guix?