Re: LuaTeX/luaotfload doesn't find any fonts (using fontspec) on Guix?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: LuaTeX/luaotfload doesn't find any fonts (using fontspec) on Guix?
Date: Thu, 09 May 2024 18:21:29 +0200

Hello,

Benjamin Slade <beoram@gmail.com> writes:

>> This doesn't seem good as the store is not writable.
>
>> I read[¹] that "texmf.cnf" and "texmfcnf.lua" might be misconfigured. In
>> particular, `kpsewhich -var-value=TEXMFCACHE' reports a store location.
>> At the very least, I think TEXMFCACHE in "texmf.cnf" should be set to
>> $TEXMFVAR instead of $TEXMFSYSVAR;$TEXMFVAR as it is the case currently.
>> I'm not sure it will help, tho.
>
> I will try to see if there is anything that can be done in terms of
> local/home configuration.
>
> I wonder if there's a reasonable upstream/Guix fix for the luatex
> package definition.

What I wrote above is actually wrong. $TEXMFSYSVAR does not point to the
store, but to "{/gnu/...", which means "lualatex" creates a "{"
directory in the current working directory. It is silly (and has been
reported already[¹]), but at least the cache can be written to the disk.

I'm not sure yet there's a problem on the Guix side. Font configuration
can be tricky.

[¹]  <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64772>

Regards,
--