Re: Difference between guix/build and guix/build-system

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Difference between guix/build and guix/build-system
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 22:59:44 +0200

Hi,

Vasilii Smirnov <vasilii.smirnov@mailbox.org> writes:
> Oh, nice, I completely missed that page. Thanks! Although it would be
> nice if it went into more detail... Like, I see that both "build" and
> "build-system" parts define the "${name}-build" function
> (e.g. cmake-build). But the definitions are different.
>
> The way I interpret these docs is that everything in the "build" part
> is solely for use from inside of gexps?

Almost, there are exceptions like guix/build/syscalls.scm.

> And the "build-system" part is
> for use by the host code, that embeds these gexps. That would explain
> duplicate function names then...

I don’t know well; in the case of cmake-build, I guess so.  Note
however: The proper term is build-side code.  Gexps are an example of
build-side code, but phases are older than gexps and are build-side code
too.  guix/build-system/cmake.scm is older than gexps, but uses gexps
now.

Regards,
Florian