Re: No 'guix pull' substitutes for foreign distros?

From: André A . Gomes
Subject: Re: No 'guix pull' substitutes for foreign distros?
Date: Tue, 21 May 2024 12:14:46 +0300

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de> writes:

> Hello all, the missing substitutes in Debian can be worked around; Nigko
> and I discussed in bug#70954 by editing
> /etc/systemd/services/multi-user.target.wants/guix-daemon.service this way:

Thanks Florian, it does fix it!

I understand the arguments behind waiting for 1.5 and the conservative
nature of Debian distributions.  But I wonder why would anyone want to
run a daemon that is not the one being fetched from guix pull.  Clearly,
the exception would be on the first run (guix installation as a foreign
distro), where a tagged guix-daemon must be used.  That's my naive take,
but I may be missing some important details.

--
André A. Gomes
"You cannot even find the ruins..."