More network oddness

From: Peter McAlpine
Subject: More network oddness
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:34:20 -0500

Hello,

This is the third time I've tried using the hurd, and I've had the
same trouble each time. What happens to me is the same thing (as far
as I can tell) that happened to "Matt" (jediknight@xwing.org) (in the
help-hurd archives, Aug 6, 2001, Title "Network Oddness").

I've made it through the initial installation
(i.e. ./native-install*2). Now I'm trying to set up pfinet (using
hurd-install-guide.html as my reference). I get the same problemss
jediknight got... ping sometimes hangs, sometimes gives results.

What I figured out is that it's the DNS that was really slow. Once I
had the ip of my target, no problem. So I changed sources.list so that
it had the ips of alpha.gnu.org and whatever.debian.org instead of the
domain names. I was even able to "apt-get nvi" to make my life easier.

So anyway, I was getting really brave, and was going to try apt-get
emacs... when my network quit. I tried re-initing pfinet with another
"settrans -fgap ..." but to no success. settrans started to hang more
and more seriously the more times I tried (I was trying different
config values). Eventually, settrans just hung the hurd. oi. I can
reboot, and have my connection work for a few minutes, and then it
just hangs again.

So anyway, I'm determined to get the hurd going, but I'd greatly
appreciate any help you can offer. I run the VIA-rhine driver in
linux, and am pretty sure that the hurd picked that up at boot time
and is using the same thing.

-pete =)

specs:
i386
DLINK 530TX pci (VIA-rhine)
/proc/pci entry for Ethernet card:
 Bus  0, device  17, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT86C100A [Rhine \
10/100] (rev 6).
      IRQ 9.
      Master Capable.  Latency=200.  Min Gnt=118.Max Lat=152.
      I/O at 0x1400 [0x147f].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4010000 [0xf401007f].

--
Peter McAlpine
pmcalpin@uoguelph.ca