Hurd-related research help requested

From: Alexander Ward KULUNGOWSKI
Subject: Hurd-related research help requested
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 23:29:40 -0800 (PST)

Hurd experts,

This is a long shot, but nothing ventured...

I'm a graduate student at UCSD and for my systems class I've been charged
with the formidable task of coming up with an OS-related research topic
for a paper due in mid-March.  The topic I came up with is GNU's Mach/Hurd
system.  I've managed to get it installed on a variety of Intel machines,
but I'm not really sure where to go from there.  Rather than provide a
general overview, the professor wants us to focus on and test a specific
aspect of the system, which explains my earlier use of the word
"formidable": while I'm very interested in systems programming, I've had a
negligible amount of experience with it.  Is there anything in Mach/Hurd
amenable to a complete newbie?  The Hurd's translators seem like an
interesting topic, but I'm at a loss as to how to make a research paper
out of them.  Is there anything that I can do with the interface between
Mach and Hurd?  What about the efforts to port Hurd to L4?  I've got a
network of machines I can use to run experiments and about a month's worth
of time left to produce something.  I'm willing to put in a great deal of
effort and money to make this project a success, but I'm seriously
lacking direction.

Thanks,

Alex