RE: eth0 not detected?

From: Gregg C Levine
Subject: RE: eth0 not detected?
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:24:42 -0400

Hello from Gregg C Levine
Exactly.
I've been hacking with Linux, excuse me, GNU/ Linux for about six
years now, and its been my experience that the device driver which
facilitates the uses of Ethernet connections is not part of the basic
device driver file system.

In fact its created dynamically by the system at startup, to match the
card the user has inserted, or that the motherboard is wearing the
hardware for.  And that it also matches the module with the same name.
Obviously the HURD uses an entirely different method, and to my mind,
some what neater method to do this.

Given this line of reasoning, I believe we can put this discussion to
bed, and consider other issues, some related and some not.
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi