device driver interface

From: Shakthi Kannan
Subject: device driver interface
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:53:57 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings!

I am trying to understand the device driver interface
between GNU Mach 1.3 and GNU Hurd (using Debian K8 on
x86).

Driver files in i386/i386at in gnumach-1-branch get
compiled.

But, I am looking for some basic (hello world?)
example to understand how the device interfaces in GNU
Hurd:

http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/gnumach-doc/mach_10.html#SEC89

interact with its particular GNU mach driver
probe/open/close/read/write function in gnumach.

In GNU/Linux kernel, we register a driver with the
kernel and use device major and minor numbers. I am a
little lost with gnumach and gnu hurd.

I'd really, really appreciate a simple example to
illustrate the control flow.

Thanks,

SK

Shakthi Kannan, MS
Software Engineer, Specsoft (Hexaware Technologies)
[E]: shaks@shakthimaan.com           [M]: (91) 98407-87007
[W]: http://www.shakthimaan.com      [L]: Chennai, India

http://mail.yahoo.com