help-libidn

Re: AW: treatment of U+002E that is produced by NFKC

From: Erik van der Poel
Subject: Re: AW: treatment of U+002E that is produced by NFKC
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:41:34 -0800

> Ok.  Pointers to the mailing list may suffice if we can give a good
> explanation of the problem.

This is the beginning of the thread (even though it includes an
excerpt from an earlier thread):

http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/idna-update/2008-January/000811.html

> Maybe we can develop such an explanation
> here.

I don't have the bandwidth to contribute any further to this thread. I
already have my hands full with the idna-update list.

> I'm not yet sure whether actually providing a mechanism (like the
> one I proposed in the patch) to work around the problem is a good thing.
> The mechanism could just as well cause other problems.

Yes, it is possible that that approach would cause other
incompatibility problems that I cannot think of at the moment, since
it is different from MSIE 7 and Firefox 2.

> That is worrisome, and is my reason for preferring more pondering on
> whether the fix may be worse than the disease before applying it.

Yes, pondering is good.

Erik