help-libidn

Re: wrong compiler flag detection

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: wrong compiler flag detection
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 18:29:35 +0100

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden writes:
>
>> ld: 0706-005 Cannot find or open file: diagnostics-show-option
>>         ld:fopen(): No such file or directory
>> *** Error code 255
>
> Hi!  Thanks for the report.
>
> Ouch.  Libidn checks whether -fdiagnostics-show-option is supported by
> the compiler before using it, but it seems this parameter has another
> meaning for xlc compared to gcc.  As a work around, you can build libidn
> using 'make WARN_CFLAGS=' to avoid passing these extra flags to the
> compiler.
>
> I'm not sure how to fix this cleanly.  Ideas welcome.  I'll try to think
> about it as well.

I have changed so that the many warning flags are only tested for when
using gcc.  This should solve this problem for xlc, I think.  Please
confirm that the upcoming release fixes this for you.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/commit/?id=fa40eeae60b65dbb0d57ab3e24d7e33c4bff1857

Thanks,
Simon