help-libidn

Re: Symbol versioning bug

From: Marco d'Itri
Subject: Re: Symbol versioning bug
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 12:43:05 +0100

On Feb 03, Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'll be away the entire next week, so I plan to release this on Friday
> if I haven't heard any objections. I'd appreciate quick review if this
> is looking OK.
I do not understand why you introduced the LIBIDN_1.17 version tag, the
ABI does not have two different versions of these symbols which require
a version tag to distinguish them.
If you really want to pretend that the symbols never existed before
release 1.17 then you just add them along the others and declare an ABI
change: now packages using libidn built by distributions will either
depend on release >= 1.17 or use .symbols files like Debian does to
determine the exact version of libidn the package being built needs to
depend on.

--
ciao,
Marco