help-libidn

Re: libidn2: ChangeLog, bootstrap

From: Tim Ruehsen
Subject: Re: libidn2: ChangeLog, bootstrap
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 16:55:51 +0100

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 3:38:58 PM CET Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Tim Ruehsen <address@hidden> writes:
> >> Thanks for the hint -- see cfg.mk for how it is done in libidn2, i.e.:
> >>
> >> ChangeLog:
> >>    git2cl > ChangeLog
> >>
> >> tarball:
> >>    ! git tag -l $(PACKAGE)-$(VERSION) | grep $(PACKAGE) > /dev/null
> >>    $(MAKE) ChangeLog distcheck
> >>
> >> The idea is that on 'make release', the ChangeLog is re-generated from
> >> git commit logs and will be included in the tarball.  This broke because
> >> ChangeLog had been accidentally been committed at some point.
> >
> > The wget method has the advantage that you don't have to remember 'make
> > release', it is regenerated automatically when you create the tarball
> > (make
> > dist, make distcheck).
>
> True, but does it matter?  I suspect this can be fixed if it is
> important too.
>
> > Another advantage is that wget doesn't need get2cl - which might not be
> > available on e.g. Solaris.
> > E.g. 'gengetopt' is not available there and it was not possible for me to
> > built it (some auto* stuff was not compatible). That means I can't build
> > libidn2 there at the moment. IMO, such dependencies are a waste of time
> > since they just solve trivial tasks, basically nothing.
>
> Neither git2cl nor gengetopt should be needed for normal users.  If
> there is ever any developer who wants to be build libidn2 from git on
> solaris, maybe we can reconsider.
>
> > Maybe it is possible to use gnulib's git-to-changelog instead of git2cl ?
>
> Yeah, I would like that.  I recall there being some differences between
> them, and that git-to-changelog demanded some particular way to format
> git commit logs which aren't always followed.  We should probably still
> go with the git-to-changelog approach though.

- git2cl mangles non-ASCII characters (e.g. my family name)
- git2cl has a nice (GNU'ish) output while - as you say -  gitlog-to-changelog
needs the committer to take care about the message format.

If you could fix git2cl, I would be happy with it :-). Maybe the formatting
code could go from git2cl into gnulib one day...

Regards, Tim