help-libidn

Re: Libidn 1.37 musl-x86_64 compilation issue

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Libidn 1.37 musl-x86_64 compilation issue
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 10:51:12 +0200

Demetris <dem.procopiou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> If i don't autoreconf I get:
>
> make[3]: Entering directory '/builddir/libidn-1.37/doc'
>>  cd .. && /bin/sh /builddir/libidn-1.37/build-aux/missing automake-1.16
>> --gnu doc/Makefile
>> configure.ac:41: error: version mismatch.  This is Automake 1.16.2,
>> configure.ac:41: but the definition used by this AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
>> configure.ac:41: comes from Automake 1.16.1.  You should recreate
>> configure.ac:41: aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run automake again.
>> WARNING: 'automake-1.16' is probably too old.
>>          You should only need it if you modified 'Makefile.am' or
>>          'configure.ac' or m4 files included by 'configure.ac'.
>>          The 'automake' program is part of the GNU Automake package:

Hi.  This may be the real bug here -- can you describe step-by-step what
how you built?  E.g:

tar xfa libidn-1.37.tar.gz
cd libidn-1.37
./configure
make

Or if you did some variation of these steps.

>  I guess that's because the automake that is used in my system is 1.16.2
> and in libidn everything was generated with 1.16.1 right? I'm the
> maintainer for that package in Void Linux. Is there a way to fix that
> getting the released package or I have to use the sources from github?

Automake 1.13 or later is supported -- however, you should not need any
auto tools if you build from tarball; that would be a bug (like the
above may be).  If you want to rebuild everything from sources, you
should use ./bootstrap but that requires some additional tools (see
HACKING).  The ./boostrap functionality is new in libidn 1.37 compared
to 1.36, and you are one of the first to test it, so chances are high
that things can be improved.

/Simon