help-libtasn1

Re: relicense libtasn1 to LGPLv3+

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: relicense libtasn1 to LGPLv3+
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 20:46:06 +0100

Andreas Metzler <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2011-12-06 Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:
>> We are considering re-licensing Libtasn1 to LGPLv3+ and I wanted to hear
>> if there are any strong reasons against that.
> [...]
>
> I am not sure this counts as a strong reason, but I think GnuTLS using
> GPLv2-only code (cups) would need to drop TLS support. Even after
> GnuTLS switched to 3.0 they could continue using the legacy (but still
> supported) gnutls 2.x series.

Eventually the 2.x series will not be supported though, what will happen
then?

Anyway, just as cups could use old GnuTLS, they could use old Libtasn1,
couldn't they?

I don't see a simple solution for CUPS given that GnuTLS is LGPLv3+
after we noticed that GMP is LGPLv3+.  Both libraries could be
relicensed as dual-LGPLv3+|GPLv2+ though, but it requires some
coordination and effort from somebody interested.

Thanks for feedback.

/Simon