Re: [Help-make] (no subject)

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: [Help-make] (no subject)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:46:04 -0400

%% "Davies, Gerwyn" <address@hidden> writes:

  dg> and why this does not:-

  >> COMPILER=cx332
  >>
  >> %.o : %.c
  >> $(COMPILER) $*.c
  >>
  >> all: l3.o

  dg> which exits with this error:-
  >> make: *** No rule to make target `l3.o', needed by `all'.  Stop.

This works fine for me (Debian GNU/Linux 2.2, GNU make 3.79.1).

Also, that syntax has been valid for as long as I've been using GNU make
(over 10 years, since 3.5x something :).

Obviously, the l3.c file does exist in the current directory, and you
didn't confuse the "l" with a "1" or anything... and you don't have a
case-sensitivity error, right (like the file on the disk is really
"L3.C" or something)?

Other than that, I can't say.  I'm really not very familiar with NT.
Try using the -d option and see what make says.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/