Re: how to make targets with :: in filename

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: how to make targets with :: in filename
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:43:43 -0500

In make, it's next to impossible to use targets or prerequisites that
contain ":" (or " ") in the names.  Even if you could get it to work in
GNU make (which I'm not sure you can) it almost certainly wouldn't be
portable to any other make.

Your only options are to (a) create "fake" targets for each file that
don't contain the "::", then rename them in the rule, like this:

 man_MANS = Foo__Bar.3pm Foo__Duh.3pm

 install-man: $(MANS)

 Foo__%.3pm: %.pm
        pod2man $< $(@:Foo__%=Foo::%)
        touch $@

or something like that, then rewrite the install-man rule, as well, to
copy the :: version rather than the __ version, or (b) to just write a
new, single rule that builds all the man pages with ::'s, and one that
installs them.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/