Re: *.java vs *.JAV on NT

From: Rob Tulloh
Subject: Re: *.java vs *.JAV on NT
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:40:51 +0100

I am not able to reproduce this. Recently, I have been reading Bruce Eckel's
online book "Thinking in Java, 2nd edition, Revision 11". It includes some
samples and training modules which are simple java files with a GNU makefile
to compile them. Here is an example:

> D:\Documents\BOOKS\ThinkingInJava(v2)\c02>type makefile
> # From Thinking in Java, 2nd Edition
> # At http://www.BruceEckel.com
> # (c) Bruce Eckel 2000
> # Copyright notice in Copyright.txt
> # Automatically-generated MAKEFILE
> # For examples in directory .\c02
> # using the JDK 1.2 compiler
> # Invoke with: make
>
> JVC = javac
> JVCFLAGS =
> .SUFFIXES : .class .java
> .java.class :
>         $(JVC) $(JVCFLAGS) $<
>
> classes =  \
>         HelloDate.class\
>         HelloWorld.class\
>         ATypeName.class\
>         DataOnly.class\
>         Storage.class\
>         StaticFun.class\
>         Args.class\
>         AllTheColorsOfTheRainbow.class
>
> all : $(classes)
>
> clean:
>         rm -f $(classes)

If I then run this from a DOS prompt:

D:\Documents\BOOKS\ThinkingInJava(v2)\c02>c:/rob/make-3.79.1/windebug/make -v al
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for Windows32
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <address@hidden>.

D:\Documents\BOOKS\ThinkingInJava(v2)\c02>path
PATH=C:\WINNT\system32;c:\jdk1.3\bin

D:\Documents\BOOKS\ThinkingInJava(v2)\c02>c:/rob/make-3.79.1/windebug/make all
javac  HelloDate.java
javac  HelloWorld.java
javac  ATypeName.java
javac  DataOnly.java
javac  Storage.java
javac  StaticFun.java
javac  Args.java
javac  AllTheColorsOfTheRainbow.java

It seems to work even with very long file names. I wonder if we could learn how
this user compiled their copy of make 3.79.1 and what tools/environment they
are using in their environment.

Rob